Sunday, November 4, 2007

Catch 22 - Wendy's Thoughts

Catch 22, considered an American classic, is a satire first and foremost. Set during WWII, the novel shows the futility and ridiculous nature of war, government and the military.

Considered "dangerous" because of objectionable language, Catch 22 was banned in Strongsville, Ohio, 1972 (overturned in 1976); challenged by Dallas, Texas, Independent School District high school libraries in 1974; and banned in Snoqualmie, Washington in 1979.

I really wanted to like this book because I had heard so much about it. But when I tried to read it in January 2007, I got bogged down very quickly in its circular dialogue and inane story line. Ultimately, I set it aside and did not finish it.

Not recommended; rated 1/5.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you totally missed the point of the book here. Catch 22 is a satire meant to point out the redundancy and inanity of war. The book obviously went over your head as you didn't even notice the book takes place in World War II on an island in the Mediterranean; No where near Vietnam.
F+

Wendy said...

Normally I would not respond to an Anonymous poster....but, I didn't miss that this was a satire, nor that it was inane (as I point out in my comments). I only read about 40 pages before quitting on it, which is probably why I didn't get the "time frame" right - quite frankly, I hated it so much I didn't care WHEN it was set. Next time you want to grade my reviews or in this case, my comments, perhaps you could have the courage to leave your name. It is pretty cowardly to blast someone behind the tag of anonymous. And by the way - my opinion is just that *MY* opinion, whether you like it or not :)

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I guess I didn't pick up on the reference to Vietnam when I first read your review, Wendy, because the book was published in 1961 (during the beginnings of the Vietnam War) and I saw the "Catch 22" movie around the time of the American involvement in Vietnam. I haven't read the book, but I loved the movie.

Normally, I too would ignore anonymous posters who lack the courage to stand behind their words. When anonymity hides animosity (or stupidity or snideness), I usually delete the comment. Since you have already posted such a strong rebuttal, Wendy, I think I'll leave it this time.

Frankly, my dear, I think your review pegged the book exactly: "...the novel shows the futility and ridiculous nature of war, government and the military." I appreciate your taking the time to write a review of a book you didn't like and telling us why it was banned.

Wendy said...

Thanks Bonnie - I went ahead and corrected the setting to reflect WWII. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what the poster's issue was now that I go back and re-read it. Oh well, some people just like to feel superior.

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendy,

I think you need to read the book a bit more before writing the reviwe.... Catch 22 is a very carefully written and intricately plotted book. the structure of the narrative as well as the dialogue is circular and is satirical to show how the very concept of war is equally circulr... if you didn't like a book, that's great but i feel it's totally uncalled for if you start giving your opinion without having read even 1/10th of the book... you're nt giving the book a chance... that's not how you do book reviews

Wendy said...

Hi Jeff - well, had I actually written a "review" I'd agree with you...but since this was not a review, but simply my thoughts...I think you're off the mark. Anyone is entitled to decide if they like a book enough to read it or toss it aside. I don't think I'm obligated to read an entire book to say that it lost my interest and annoyed me enough that I chose not to finish it.

When I write a review, I state that I'm writing a review by noting it in the title of my post. If you look at the title of THIS post...it doesn't say review anywhere. I would never formally review a book I didn't finish - but, I feel completely okay with stating my thoughts as to why I quit on a book.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, Jeff - glad you liked the book and thought it was great. A lot of people agree with you as this is considered a classic. That said, give me a break please - just because I don't like the book enough to finish reading it doesn't mean I'm not entitled to state my opinion.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Wendy, I have now restricted comments to "Registered Users - includes OpenID" so it can't be used by hidden cowards ("Anonymous" can't be traced, and "Jeff" has no link back to wherever he came from) who would rather attack the person rather than talk about the book itself. I'm sorry they have chosen to attack you. Please keep reviewing -- and commenting -- on any of the banned books you run across.

Wendy said...

Thanks, Bonnie - I have no problem with people stating opposing views to mine or having a meaningful dialogue about books...but, I agree these comments feel a bit personal *laughs* A couple of negative comments won't stop me from posting my thoughts and reviews...I learned a long time ago that one shouldn't be intimidated by bullies :)

Unknown said...

I totally agree. Catch 22 lost me at about chapter 7. I couldn't make myself finish it. Some may consider it a classic, but I consider it a waste of my time.

Solomon said...

Hello Wendy. I usually don't comment on blog posts, but I felt a need to mention that some books start off slowly. Catch-22, in my opinion, doesn't really get interesting until about the hundredth page. If you could slog through it until you get there, and you still don't like it, then I guess it really isn't your cup of tea. But to me, forty pages isn't giving a book enough of a chance. Otherwise, this was an excellent post.

Wendy said...

Rebecca: Yay, someone who agrees with me finally *smiles*

Solomon: You know, I agree 40 pages isn't much to read before forming an opinion about a book...and normally I push myself to keep going. But should someone (who is not getting paid to review books) actually feel they have to keep reading a book they are just not enjoying? If it is true that Catch-22 doesn't get good until page 100, I wonder why? As a writer myself, I was always taught to "hook" the reader early. Having to slog through 100 pages of a book before one feels hooked doesn't seem like a great book to me. But, again - it is just my opinion. And most people agree with you...they love the book. Thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to disagree with your distaste of this book. I was hooked from the very first page. I read this book two summer ago when I was 14 ever since it has remained my favorite book. I simply love the satire and the writing style. So I would ask that you reconsider your views on the book perhaps pick it up and read it a bit further.
Thanks

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Why ask her to reconsider it, Lucas? No one is required to like a particular book. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

Wendy said...

Well, of all the many reviews I've posted to this blog, this post (which is not a review, but merely my thoughts on why I didn't finish the book) has received the most comments from people who disagree with me. I consider that a good thing because it stimulates discussion. That said, Lucas, I am glad you found this book to be wonderful and enjoyable - I am thrilled when I discover a book that touches me on every level too. I wish, when this happens, that everyone that reads said book would agree with me...I so want them to love the books I love. But, alas, that is not always the case. So although you want me to reconsider, to pick up the book again, I won't be doing that...sorry, it just isn't my cuppa tea.