
The best laid schemes o' mice and men Gang aft agley [go oft awry] And leave us nought but grief and pain For promised joy!
by Scottish poet Robert Burns (1759 - 96)
John Steinbeck's classic novel, Of Mice and Men, is one of three novels he wrote exploring the California agricultural labor phenomenon of the 1930s (the other two were The Grapes of Wrath and In Dubious Battle). In this novel, Steinbeck focuses on the friendship between two men - George and Lennie - and their shared dream of owning land and a home of their own.The story is simple and occurs over the span of three short days on a Salinas Valley ranch where the two men have found work as farm hands. Thematically, Steinbeck explores the idea of dreams and how plans may go awry through forces beyond one's control. Given the time in which the novel was written, his handling of the mentally handicapped Lennie is tender and compassionate. Steinbeck describes setting beautifully, and wraps it around the characters whose personalities emerge through their dialogue and relationships with each other. There is enough foreshadowing to predict the novel's tragic end.
I read this book July 13, 2007 and rated it 5/5. Highly Recommended.
Why Was It Banned?
Of Mice and Men was banned by some schools and libraries in the United states for promoting "euthansia" and use of profanity from May 1983 to May 1984, and also in 1993 and 1994. This book is no longer banned.

14 comments:
I just read this book in my ninth grade class. My class enjoyed this book very much. No one found offense to it, i mean those racial slurs aren't directed towards us, its to add intensity to a story.
I just read this book in my 9th grade class, and it wasn't offensive. The language they used was in the 1920's during the depresion age and it was common language back then. It doesn't relate to nowadays.
Glad to see you read and enjoyed the book in your 9th grade class!
I read this book recently. I can't believe I hadn't read it before now. I, too, highly reccomend it. It paints a stark picture of a time very different from our own.
Sharon: I am always amazed at the "classic" books I haven't yet read! This one was definitely one I agree should be mandated literature :)
I read this book around November in my 7th grade A.P English class. Its was very good, and not hard to read through. Highly Recomended !
Carrissa: I agree - it is a quick, yet profound read.
Of Mice and Men is a fantastic book, in my opinion, it should never have been banned. The language was bad at times and the racial comments were not all that great to read, but that is exactly what made the book so interesting and powerful. John Steinbeck is and incredible author and did a great job on this book.
Of Mice and Men is an outstanding book, though short, still great. This book should never have been banned. The language was not always great and the racial comments were not so good to read, but that is exactly what makes this books so interesting and powerful. John Steinbeck did a fantastic job on this book and i recommend it to anybody.
I read this book recently in my 10the grade class. I personaly think that this story is great. The end of the book was shocking but it was wonderful. I hope to read this book again and watch the movie too!
This book changed my life
It is interesting to read the comments. Note those comments who acknowledge that there were actually racial slurs. Specifically "those racial slurs aren't directed towards us" and "it was common language back then. It doesn't relate to nowadays." I am assuming that you are both white.
The words are not offensive to white people because white people do not have a racial slur that has any historical significance or potential to harm attributed to them.
Please think deeply about this. It's the reason why none of you will ever be offended by any slurs directed towards other racialized groups.
i dont think it should be banned. im writing a paper in my 11th grade english class weather or not it should be banned or not.
no it shount be banned
Post a Comment