Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Kite Runner ~ two more reviews

Wendy reviewed The Kite Runner by Khalid Hosseini (2003) a couple of years ago.  I never wrote about it because I read the book years before I started reviewing books on my blog.  Joy Renee wrote a review of the book in 2008, and yesterday she had this to say about about book banning on her Joystory blog:
"I have learned from experience beginning in early grade-school that story was the most effective, the most powerful, the most immediate method for developing an understanding of a person, culture or event--even those seemingly too alien or incomprehensible and especially those triggering any anxiety, disgust or fear. This is why I am fiercely in favor of freedom of speech and thought.

"But I have not forgotten what it was like to be a fervidly puritanical fundamentalist and so I also understand that it is that very power of story to change minds that is at the root of the challenges so the necessity of staying vigilant and proactive on this task of defending the challenged books and the right to intellectual freedom will remain for generations to come. Thus the ALA and the other organizations dedicated to this service to democracy and liberty have my gratitude and admiration."
Now you should go read Joy Renee's review (she calls it a "musing") of The Kite Runner.  Read Sheila's review as well, since it was discovering Sheila's that convinced Joy Renee to write her own review.  Sheila of Book Journey, who is one of the contributors here on Banned Books, also has a SPOILER page, in case any readers want to discuss that defining moment in the book.  It's on a separate page, so the story won't be spoiled for anyone who has not yet read the book.

Joy Renee commented on Sheila's "spoiler" page about the family secret in The Kite Runner:  "It could be said that the secrecy was more damaging and thus more damning than the original ‘sin’."  I [Bonnie] agree that family secrets cause a lot of unintended harm.  Please share what you think, especially related to this book.

2 comments:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Have you read The Kite Runner? What BANNED books are you reading this week?

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Bonnie I really like this post and when I read the book I had no idea it had been on the banned list.