Awarded the Newbery Medal in 1994.
Audio book performed by Ron Rifkin.

This was actually a re-read for me - of a book that immediately became an all-time favorite when I read it several years ago on the recommendation of a friend. I planned to re-read The Giver this month for the Yahoo! Book Awards Group, as well as to refresh my memory of it before reading Gathering Blue, the second book in what Lowry's website calls simply "The Trilogy". (I have also heard the set of three books, which also includes Messenger, referred to as "companion books.") Because I was looking for a book to listen to during my commute and because I have several times in the past gotten a new perspective and enhanced enjoyment from hearing a book after my initial read, I picked up the Book on CD version of The Giver when I was at the library last week. I found the book to be just as tremendous the second time through - and Ron Rifkin's performance was delightful.
The Giver is the kind of book that makes you think - and which continues to stimulate thought on a re-read. The themes of choice, freedom, and diversity are powerfully explored in the novel. I think my emotional reaction was even more profound on hearing the story of Jonas, the young protagonist of the book, than when I read it. The Giver will continue to be an all-time favorite of mine!
Sadly, The Giver is on the ALA's list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Challenged Books of 1990-2000. Read more about the challenges faced by the book here.
Originally posted on my book blog on January 18, 2008.
4 comments:
Thats not answering my question...Why was this book banned or do you know?
Marquilla, we aren't here to do your homework. Alison gave you two links, one to the list where she found the book and one to read more about the challenges to the book. Follow the links and see what you can discover on your own. We are a bunch of book lovers who do this in our spare time. Alison wrote about the book almost two years ago, which you can see by the date on the post, so it's your turn to search out the specific information you need for your homework.
I read this book in the 6th grade im 20 years old now and still think of the scenerios at least once every two weeks especially the part about the limp baby's body. I think because I have twin baby brother and sister.Its my favorite of all my books I've ever read besides The Coldest Winter Ever by sistah soulja, but I guess you can say it kind of damaged me as a kid because I've only read it once but I remember every sad detail of it.
I am actually really upset that people even thought for one moment to ban this book. It is an amazing book. I am in 9th grade i read it for the first time in 5th grade than read it 3 more times after that. I have heard both sides of the argument and I feel that it is a great way to make you think.
Post a Comment